Sunday 30 November 2008

Tesco - Relentless Price Rises Not Peanuts

Tesco Value range - relentless price rises aren't peanuts

The story so far: Last week I wrote that Sainsbury's was taking shoppers for a ride with steady price hikes on its 'Basics' range - rapidly narrowing the price gap between budget and premium brands. I noted Tesco was at it too with their 'Value Range'.

Tesco has almost doubled the price of its Value Roasted Salted Peanuts since August - when they were 20p for a 200g bag. By October the price jumped to 30p, then 32p and this week another 15% to 37p. Perhaps Tesco is building up to a Christmas 'half price offer' i.e. back to the original price before they doubled it...

The Daily Mail phoned me this week to ask about my Sainsbury's Basics Tinned Chopped Tomatoes story. The paper is investigating recent price rises on tinned food - the journalist told me one reader had discovered a tinned salmon price rise of 130%.

Supermarkets seem to be under the illusion that if the price is peanuts to start with no one will notice when it increases a few pennies more. Wrong! We do. We don't like it and we start shopping around.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've noticed the price hikes too. 2 weeks ago, tescos premium dog food 12 tin pack was £3.96 and is now £5.00. So I went to the larger tins of the discount range which were 72p per tin. This week they were 90p per tin! A 20% rise!! I'll stick to aldi and iceland now.

Anonymous said...

sainsbury's basic chopped tomatoes have gone up again this week. This time from 33p to 38p...

Jerry Foulkes said...

Sainsbury's Basics price rises have almost ceased to surprise us.

Checking www.mysupermarket.co.uk I discover Asda and Tesco are still charging 33p for their cheapest tins. I wonder how long before they all come up with the same new price - 38p?